Sunday, January 8, 2012

The Return of …. Pan Am !


ABC's Pan Am

 Looking forward to my favorite new show returning tonight ! Pan Am… Sunday's on ABC , at 10:00PM Eastern.  

Off to somewhere amazing


Frankfurt, Germany

Luckily,  I have  my very own real life Pan Am Stewardess as my most lovely and wonderful Mother- in- Law.  Travelling the world entire, and meeting her future husband, my Father- In- Law( who also happened to  be a Pan Am Pilot) were just a few of the many adventures she encountered.

Back in the day (the 1950's to be exact), Pan Am Stewardesses had to be skilled and formally educated  as a nurse.  In addition to airline safety procedures, Pan Am Stewardess's were formally trained in etiquette and all social graces. Weight restrictions were strictly enforced… (I think that may be still a good idea today !) .The wearing of a girdle was required, as well as the lovely white gloves and pill box hat. The uniforms were flawless in there tailoring and style. The epitome of elegance, glamour, fashion and dreams come true; The idea and memory of the Pan Am Stewardess' glory days of flying was, and in many ways still  is, an iconic vision of what little girls often dream of .

 Now, you know to see the world( and get paid for doing it)  is not a bad dream to believe in. I do really know….. my dream to one day fly the skies when I grew up, came true. Although the glory days of flying  are somewhat changed today, the mystique and draw for the job is still firmly in place. I do miss flying the world like the girls from Pan Am  sometimes. But like life… all good things must come to an end as  we evolve into new chapters ahead. Watching this great series    I  too reflect,  like my dear Mother- In- Law,  fondly looking back on those days as some of my most, ( our most) cherished memories.  ~ Nadia

No comments:

Post a Comment

It may take just a bit for your comment to appear.