Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Art Picks… What To Do

I have been thinking alot about art for one's home. How do go about picking what is right. That is the key. There is no right or wrong. Buying art, whether it be original, by a known artist, original, by an unknown artist( outsider art) , photography, or reproduction,  is all a matter of personal taste.


My best advice for buying art  in what ever form, is pretty simple. Buy what you love. I f you buy what truly speaks to your heart ,with a little bit of rhyme or reason, you cannot go wrong.

Living Room Vintage French Posters

Number one, come up with a plan of subject and subject  placement. For me, I decided on all of my likes. The theme, on a whole,  vintage France and travel.  I began with my love of antique  French posters. I have them in the living room.  Most of them have a theatrical or entertainment theme. Exactly what takes place in this particular room. My dining room, adjoined to the living room by an archway carries my antique French theme with framed vintage French menus.. The food related art subject is  a bit  self explanatory , but happily makes sense for the subject matter of the room .The color pallet~ Warm, earthy, friendly colors…lots of warm greens, muted reds, golds and cream. All of these colors are somewhat worn and relaxed and almost feel like comfortable  faded jeans in color depth.

Dining Room Vintage French Menu's
Continuity. I cannot stress it enough. Color, style, theme, all keep the flow going throughout your home. Follow this process and you will keep the tranquillity from room to room, and the flow will just make sense.

 From my dining room  the continuity of theme continues into my kitchen with petite vintage vegetable prints  with  french writing. The colors continue to be a worn, weathered, lived in look that are cozy and approachable. The food subject matter is appropriate to the the room.

 Moving into my family room, I kept the  color pallet, and somewhat of the theme,with the artists being French. From the vegetables and food related art pieces in the kitchen,  my family room naturally flows from edible plant life to botanical plant and garden life with similar styles and colors for a smooth transition.


Finally, I manage to work in some black and white photography as part of my wall decor in my guest bathroom. Although the medium has changed, my subject is still in the same subject matter. My subjects time frame of France,( The Eiffel Tower was built around the same time frame as my vintage posters were created.) as well as location of origin  (France) remains consistent~Thus the continuity remains. If you look back at most of my selections, green was the  constant anchor color and helped to unify, and keep the eye flowing from piece to piece.

Remember, buy what you love and have a a plan. If you already own somewhat of a collection, start  off  from it, and expand from there.   The right piece for your collection is always worth the wait so do not purchase for the sake of filling a space. Take your time to find the perfect piece that really means something to you. The love you have for your art piece subject matter will be apparent as soon as  your collection begins to evolve. Half the fun is in the search. The perfect find is  the reward. ~ Nadia

2 comments:

  1. I love this post! We have a lot of art for such a small house (concert posters, pieces from artist friends, images of favorite travel destinations, etc.) and arranging it attractively has always been a challenge. The tips on pairing like colors and themes for continuity will definitely help next time we switch things around.

    Oh, and the framed vintage menus are such a cute touch!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cheri, Thank you ! It is funny, I finely came to the conclusion of only buying what speaks to me and how best to display it after years of indecision and many mistakes.

    ReplyDelete

It may take just a bit for your comment to appear.