Wednesday, February 2, 2011

My True Meaning Of Home


 I have not post for a few days because I have been going through a very trying experience here with one of my beloved furry creatures. On Monday, I was happily sitting at my desk planning on what  to write about for my next subject.  Suddenly, out of the corner of my eye, I saw my beautiful rescue cat, Finnegan, stumble, vomit, then fall. I shot up out of my chair , and proceeded to run to his side.  To my horror, Finnegan was vomiting,while having a seizure , along with the most frightening horizontal rapid eye movements. I knew instantly that something had gone terribly wrong. I could barely catch my breath and had to speak out loud to calm myself down. I grabbed the phone to call the emergency vet and was told to bring him in immediately. In a blur, I grabbed the cat carrier, and my purse and we flew out the door. At this this time every second was precious. We arrived at emergency to be met by one of the vet technicians. Finnegan was quickly assessed and whisked away, crying out with the sound of a wounded animal.  I had no idea if I would ever see him alive again. My heart was breaking and my thoughts  were of utter disbelief for what had just taken place. Once inside the examination room, the vet who I am so grateful to, explained what was most likely happening. Finnegan was having an attack of his Vestibular system, which is what controls his balance. Basically it is the worst possible scenario of Vertigo. The rapid eye movements were causing the vomiting , stumbling, and seizure like symptoms. Finnegan was admitted to the hospital, and treatment began. I kissed his head goodbye and had to drive home without him. I cried the whole ride back. Completely stunned, at one point I turned on my windshield wipers as if they could wipe away my tears.


As I returned home, the sun was just setting. The overwhelming feeling of Finnegan's absence made me almost crumble to the floor. This sweet, gentle little creature originally came to me by means of three little girls asking for my help. Lost, hungry, cold, and exhausted, Finnegan became  an important part of my family. Irreplaceable in my heart,  I instantly was reminded of what makes a house a true home. I t is not the beautiful furnishings, or artwork, or lighting, or even the structure, but solely its inhabitants who share experiences and memories together, no matter how brief.


Finnegan has since returned home. Although his prognosis is somewhat tentative, we are hopeful he will make a full recovery. This  eye opening experience has taught me to hold close those you love, and once again, has reminded me to never take life for granted. ~ Nadia


 For more information about  Feline Vestibular Disease please visit this site.

2 comments:

  1. Nadia, I am so sorry you and Finnegan had to go through such a frightening experience. This post made me cry...we have two precious shelter cats as well, and though I know they won’t live forever, I really cannot imagine life without them. My thoughts are with you...I hope your beautiful kitty makes a full recovery!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Cheri. I am sorry I made you cry, but I felt this subject was important to bring attention to. If I can help one person in the same situation by bringing awarness to the disease then it is worth all the emotion. As a friend of mine stated to me , we gain so much from our loving creatures and they ask so little in return. Thank you so much again for your kind thoughts.
    ~ Nadia

    ReplyDelete

It may take just a bit for your comment to appear.